When I had my 4th child some friends arranged to bring dinners over to our house every Thursday. It was so great while it lasted (almost enough to make me want to have another child — just kidding, honey!) and, in addition to some yummy meals, I got a bunch of amazing recipes. My friend Sarah brought this chicken pot pie and I loved it for 3 reasons: it was delicious, she cut the top crust into an “L” for Liam’s name, and she brought 2 pies – one to eat, one to freeze.
Liam is now 4 years old and I’ve probably made this recipe 50 times since then. Another reason to love it — it’s a perfect M’organic Meal! This recipe makes two pies using mostly organic ingredients for only $20.06. That’s only $10.03 for each dinner for four!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we have
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 T olive oil
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 -1.5 cups shelled edamame (or peas)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (we use cheddar, but you can use what you like)
- 1 pkg whole wheat pie crust, 2 per pkg. If you want crust on the top and bottom of each pie you'll need 2 pkgs. (I like Wholly Wholesome organic shells)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Take crusts out of the freezer in order to come closer to room temp while you cook.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook the chicken breasts until done.
- Chop into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk.
- After about 30 seconds throw in the carrots and zucchini.
- Cook and stir until bubbled and thickened.
- Meanwhile, mix the chicken and corn, edamame, and beans in a large bowl.
- Pour the bubbly and thickened sauce with the carrots and zucchini into the bowl and fold together.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into two pie pans.
- Roll out the crust and top each pan. Cut slits for ventilation and seal edge and flute.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
Amount for recipe
Price per package
Cost per Meal
|TOTAL COST FOR 2 PIES (ABOUT 8-10 SERVINGS)||$20.06|
|chicken breast (organic)||1 lb.||6.99/lb. (Trader Joes)||6.99||no|
|chicken broth or stock (organic)||1 3/4 cups||2.00/ 32 oz.||.87||yes|
|milk (organic)||1/2 cup||3.69 / half gallon||.23||yes|
|white wheat flour (organic)||1/3 cup||7.95 (bag for King Arthur brand)||.14||yes|
|butter (organic)||1/3 cup||4.00/lb.||.66||yes|
|yellow onion||1/3 cup chopped||2.99/5 lb.bag||.15||yes|
|black beans (organic)||1 can||1.19||1.19||no|
|corn - organic||1 cup||1.79/1 lb. Trader Joes||.54||yes|
|edamame||1-1.5 cups||1.69/ 16 oz. bag Trader Joes||.84||yes|
|zucchini||1/2 medium||3.29/lb. (about 3) at Trader Joes||.55||yes|
|cheddar cheese (organic)||1 cup||5.99||3.00||yes|
|whole wheat crust (organic)||1 pkg (2 crusts)||4.40/pkg (Wholly Wholesome brand)||4.40||no|