These were a hit with everyone (including the kids, who can sometimes turn their little noses up at eating fish). It can sometimes be hard to find tortillas that don’t have a lot of preservatives in them. I’ve tried making my own, but they just didn’t turn out that great. The La Tortilla brand is great because they make organic corn tortillas with only a few ingredients (water, organic stone ground corn flour, guar gum and lime).
Total Cost for 8 tacos with a side of rice and beans: $19.69
Amount for recipe
Price per package
Cost per Meal
|TOTAL COST FOR 4 SERVINGS||$19.69|
|Tilapia (wild caught)||1 lb.||8.99/lb.||8.99||no|
|Shredded cabbage (I used a bag of presliced coleslaw mix)||2.5-3 cups (about 1/3 of the bag)||1.99||.66||yes|
|green onions||1/4 cup||.99 (bag from Trader Joes)||.29||yes|
|plum tomatoes||2 chopped||1.49/lb.||.54||no|
|black beans (organic)||1 can||1.19||1.19||no|
|corn tortillas - organic||8||5.00 / pkg of 10||4.00||no|
|brown rice - organic||1 cup, dry||4.99/bag||.83||yes|
|sour cream - organic||8 oz.||2.49/16 oz trader joes||1.24||yes|
- 2.5-3 cups shredded cabbage (I used a bag of coleslaw mix)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 2 limes
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1 lb. Tilapia (wild caught)
- 1 can organic black beans
- 8 oz. organic sour cream
- 8 organic corn tortillas
- – Pantry / Spice Ingredients –
- 5 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander (divided)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (divided)
- dash cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the taco slaw: combine cabbage, green onions, tomatoes and 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro. Cut lime in half and squeeze about 2 Tbs. of juice onto slaw. Add 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet. Sprinkle the fish with 1 tsp. chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook fish for about 4 minutes on each side until it flakes easily. Remove from pan and cut into bite sized chunks.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and heat them either on the stove or in the microwave. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, dash of salt (to taste).
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream with the remaining 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp. cumin and a dash of cayenne pepper. Squeeze juice from 1/2-1 lime into mixture and stir well. Gently fold in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of slaw mixture into each tortilla. Divide the fish evenly among the tacos and top each with sour cream mixture.
- Serve with 1/4 cup of rice topped with black bean mixture. Squeeze extra lime over the rice/black beans.